YES, JUST FOLLOW AND NEVER SAY NO

Daily Drops of Wisdom


Date: 09.11.2008
Location: Starbucks, Harbor and Adams


I used to spend long hours in this cafe back in spring,
with a book in my hand and a sponge for a brain,
I studied into the wee hours of the night.
I had a study partner, and we came here the last month of our class to try and make it through together in the mutual Hell we were involved in called Human Anatomy 101.
The class was hard, though easy if you put your all into it.
I guess in retrospect, what I lacked was perseverance,
for I knew I was smart.
Now that I think about it, knowing that I am smart
does not really help me,
I yearn to be underestimated, only to prove my doubters wrong.
A little kick in the pants per se'.
Lo and behold the biggest doubter at that moment,
was me, myself and I, and I yearned to prove to myself
that I am better than this.

So with the seeds of perseverance,
came the fruits of our labor.
My friend and I passed the class,
as well as aced the last two big tests we had.
We came, we studied, we conquered.
And now, for me, this place,
this cafe situated in a busy street,
bustling with people looking
to satiate their caffeine fix
was my reminder that I am great.
So I ventured here to write and find inspiration
in past thoughts of victory and achievements.

Typing, while sipping a cup of Chai Tea Latte
and listening to music at the same time,
what a multi-tasker I was.
I was paying no heed to all the commotion
and the conversations that everybody was having around me,
Then along came a man in a wheelchair,
I was familiar with this fellow
as we shared a conversation before as I studied feverishly
back in May in this very same cafe.
I am guessing just like the ever present baristas,
he is a staple character synonymous with this place.
Though his name escapes me, he is part of that memory.
My memory that I was, and still is great.

He greeted everybody that was outside the cafe,
anybody within earshot and eye view.
"Yes", yes was all he said, both repeatedly and animated.
For the moment the word "yes"
was his way of introducing himself.
With an utter conviction in his voice
and a tone assuming that everybody he was saying "yes" to,
knew what the conversation in his head was all about.
Mind you, he is completely normal mentally,
I guess you can say that he is a bit of a humorist,
reveling in the fact
that he has an audience to share said comedy.
That was all he said, "yes",
while nodding his head energetically but in full control
He greeted me with the same enthusiasm
as he did everybody else, he did not discriminate
As he gave that bit of optimism in his words to everybody.
We all received the same equal gift he gave to the others.

"Yes", again that three letter word resonated in the night air.
So I stop him from his race with time and pavement
And asked him "yes what?"
"You can't just say yes, you have to explain"
so he proceeds to tell me,
"Yes, just follow, and never say no"...

Never mind the double negative in what he said,
What wisdom this may hold I have yet to expound on,
but I am forever sure that there is some truth
and knowledge to that ongoing conversation
he has going on with himself.

For the moment these are the thoughts and truths
that came to my mind...
We need more people like that in this world
People who can say yes...
Unapologetically sincere and spontaneous
And people who are ever optimistic yet
With the sense that reality governs said optimism.
I asked for his name so that he may forever be
Transcribed in the pages of my history and he said
"Angel", with pride and conviction.
And just like that, Angel left just as quick as he had arrived.
Wheeling with the same prowess
He put in those words he redundantly said.


~ Christian San Jose


No comments: